Small Business Support Program
The City of Cudahy’s Small Business Support Program provides financial assistance to small businesses (50 employees or less) that have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic or are part of a targeted industry for future growth such as Trade, Transportation, Professional and Business Services, Educational Services (Private), Health Care, and Social Assistance. The program offers one-time $10,000 grants to eligible businesses.
Businesses must meet all requirements to be eligible for the program. Eligibility requirements are outlined below:
- Business must be physically located within Cudahy City limits.
- Business has a current business license, and in good standing in the City of Cudahy (must have no violations with federal, state, or local government). There must be no liens against the business.
- Business must employ less 50 or less employees, including the owner(s)
- Business has been operational at least six (6) months
- Business does not have existing municipal code violations
- Business must disclose whether it has received COVID-19 relief funding from the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL), the County of Los Angeles, the State of California. If a business received federal, state, county, or private funding, it is still eligible to receive City grant funds
- Business has or will obtain a Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) Number if a grant is awarded. Staff are available to assist in obtaining one.
- Demonstrate COVID-19 impact to the business or be an industry targeted as future growth sector
- If awarded a grant or loan the business must commit to retain (one year) or create employment for at least one full-time equivalent position by a low-and moderate-income (LMI) person(s).
- Per HUD, the business must be a for-profit.
Due to federal funding restrictions, businesses that meet one of the following criteria are not eligible for participation in the program.
- Businesses that fall into the following categories: gaming, liquor or tobacco stores, marijuana dispensaries and manufacturing, and any business or activity that does not comply with local, state, or federal laws.
Eligible Use of Funds
Awarded funds are intended to help businesses retain staff and continue to provide quality services to the residents of Cudahy. Use of funds is at the business owner’s discretion, however, below are some examples of eligible activities:
- Overhead Expenses
- Rent and Utilities
- Business Services (website development, etc.) to increase capacity to carry out business activities.
- Labor expense (excluding the owner), business inventory and supplies.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Capital or equipment purchases necessary for the business operation, excluding vehicles.
Businesses are required to identify their intended use of funds during the application process. Program staff will follow up with staff and collect relevant documents that support appropriate use of grant funds.
Ineligible Use of Funds
Funds may not be used for the following activities:
- Expenses related to COVID-19 incurred prior to March 17, 2020
- Vehicle purchase
- Personal property or personal expenses
- Repayment of refinance of existing debt or to pay operating deficits tax arrearages, governmental fines or penalties or general government expenses
- Personal income or emergency situations
- Political or religious activities, lobbying or any activity prohibited in the CDBG regulations in 24 CFR 570